Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day - De Bereklauw - Jason

Hello all.

Today changed from a let's-not-leave-our-room, reading and lounging kind of day into a good half day of work. Around 14:00 (trying to get used to the 24 hour clock), Max and I forced ourselves out of the room and over to help Selsio (the "rock and roll!" guy from the last video) on his permaculture project. (It should be noted that I don't really know what permaculture means). I felt really cool about breaking a good enough sweat to have to take off my jacket in 40ish degree weather. We were loosening some soil, then mixing it with some straw, and then piling up some dirt into a wheelbarrow and wheelbarrowing it onto the top of our little soil straw mix. Selsio was calling the shots despite his Protuguese/English/Gibberish way of speaking, and Gosse was also providing some instruction in addition to his anti-Capitalist, wonderfully leftist commentary on the world.

Dinner was out of the ordinary tonight. We've been having a lot of hearty, really taste-filled stews and pastas so far, but tonight we had grilled cheese sandwiches. Still good! We're pretty much on a sqwap-only diet.

I'm currently trying (certainly not for the first time, but still trying) to not bite my nails on this trip. "You can't go cold turkey," Max's explanation for my former failures at quitting this habit, has become a little saying of our's now. We're also thinking that "De Bereklauw" is going to become a little label for a lot of things as well. I'm chewing on my nails between sentences! Blah!

It's pretty wonderful to be back out here, in the world, after spending so much time at home. I felt a little like I was wasting this precious gap year time (and burdening others for being around for what began to seem like another high school year), but having this adventure with Max is really somethin' else.

That'll do for now. If you're my friend or family member and you read this, thanks for thinking of me. Hope everything is groovy for you.

-Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment